Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nursekathleen

Porch needs opinions and help :)

nursekathleen
14 years ago

We are in the process of slowly (realllly slowly) renovating a 1920's beach bungalow. It's been trashed over the years - things moved, original wood trim painted (luckily - not all of it!!!!!). Original hardwood floors intact, but need refinishing.

I have convinced hubby that the windows with weights and cords that are remaining are worth preserving. I have convinced him that tearing out the dining room wall (with it's original swing-type windows and latches with leaded glass) to put in a patio door is a bad idea. All in all, I am trying to preserve and restore as much of it as I can!

We have redone the master bedroom, which is the entire upper floor of the bungalow - not much history there - we think it had been added to make use of the attic in the 80's, judging by the popcorn ceiling and brushed gold fixtures!

I am moving on to the porch. We want to have the exterior done, of course, but right now I want to spruce it up. I am thinking of putting some nice beadboard - I think that's what you call it? - to cover the walls. The windows are awful - and awfully expensive to replace. Not original to the house. We are wondering if it used to be un-enclosed. The floor right now is half carpet, half laminate - ummm why we do not know ;) - and I want to put down slate or similar, something that will be easy to keep clean. What about painting it a sunny yellow inside?

Opinions needed and wanted!

The ceiling is stained strips of wood - husband likes them, and I know that in some porches the strips are painted sky blue...what are everyone's opinion on that? Should I leave them?

I think that before the hideous metal flashing was installed on the supports on either side, judging from the interior, it was once wood. Hope they aren't rotten underneath, but who knows....

Some pics:

Comments (2)