Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chantico_gw

Repainting exterior: painter says don't prime?

Chantico
18 years ago

Hi, I'm new the old house forum, hope this is the right place to post this! Our house is 45 years old, with painted wood board and batton siding. The old paint is in fair shape, with no peeling, only a little checking in a few spots, and a few areas where you can sort of see the wood through it. No idea when it was last painted, probably 15 or so years.

A highly recommended painter looked at it. He said he would not prime first, because paint sticks really well to paint. He would powerwash the surface to remove the oxidation on top, and put the new paint directly on, only priming those areas where you can see the wood showing through. For the areas with checking he would sand and prime.

I was surprised about the primer issue. I want this paint to last fifteen years. I had been under the impression it would be best to prime the whole thing first.

My questions are:

1) is it normal to not prime in these circumstances?

2) since the old paint held up so well and is probably 15 years old, does that mean it was oil based? If I'm putting latex on top, doesn't that mean I need to prime first?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

Comments (16)

• DruidClark
    18 years ago

I don't know. I would think you would prime first, though Eric does have a point. Eric, don't you think that a layer of bin or something would add some stability w/out adding thickness?

• corgilvr
    18 years ago

Eric has always kept me in the right direction. I have to add that I am a confirmed stripper in this house because my paint shows ever type of crackling, alligator, etc. to indicate that the paint is failing. Some layers appear much thicker than others, though all are failing.

Why don't you get two more bids and compare the assesments of your paint and the price to do a lasting job?

• Chantico
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses! Eric, that is really interesting info about the "critical thickness", what amazing things I learn on these forums! This painter has been in business for a long time, with a great reputation, so he probably is of the school of using the minimum amount to accomplish the job, as you said.

I will ask him what kind of paint he would use. He already told me the reason he wouldn't prime was because he didn't think it was necesarry because the exsisting paint was still in pretty good shape, but for a few places, and that in his words "paint really sticks to paint".

I think I have what I need to proceed now. I'll get another bid and if the recommendations match up I'll go with the first guy.

You guys are great, thanks so much!

- Chantico

• GaleForce
    18 years ago

We only prime the bare wood, indoors or out. We do extra prep if it's latex on oil.

• Chantico
    Original Author
    18 years ago

GaleForce, by "extra prep" for latex on oil, do you mean sanding and priming the whole thing? -Chantico

• hostaguy
    18 years ago

My house has orginal 1928 split cedar shakes.

I had some really weathered shingles on the south side, they looked way more worn than the other sides of the house.

We primed the whole house with a tinted primer - I'm glad I primed those weathered shingles, the topcot came out really nice over those primered shingles.

I think sometimes it's important to prime weathered wood.

• lxarose
    15 years ago

So what is the final answer? Should I prime over existing exterior paint or just paint over the paint? Also, how many coats of paint do professional painters usually put on the exterior of a house-one or two. Finally, has anyone reglazed windows and if so, is it difficult or something I can do myself?

• lxarose
    15 years ago

When painting the exterior of a house do most professionals use brushes or a sprayer? Also, if it is lap siding (I think that's what it's called) should it be brushed or sprayed?

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    15 years ago

You said originally that the painter was highly recommended with a great reputation. He will know if it were oil based paint and how to deal with it, also the priming issue. Sometimes you just have to trust the professional.

• marys1000
    15 years ago

Cross posting is discouraged but I would also post this on the paint forum. Been awhile since I hung out there but there used to be a couple of fairly experienced "paint" guys. You could also ask at Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore stores.

• Carol_from_ny
    15 years ago

You can put latex over oil But not oil over latex.
    What NEEDS to be prime is bare wood AFTER it's been sanded.
    What needs to be sanded is any wood that is greyish in color or has checking.
    Primer sticks best to clean wood. Paint sticks best to a prepainted surface, hence the use of primer or the practice of painting over paint.
    IMHO spraying paint is a huge waste of time and paint. In no way does it matches the kind of job or quality you get from hand painting.

• bulldinkie
    15 years ago

We had ours all redone all primed.Looks good.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Sherwin Williams Duration exterior house paint doesn't require a primer even on bare (sanded) wood. Works great.
    kathy

• bellefourhouse
    15 years ago

My garage was in a similar state...I pressure washed the whole thing and used Behr's Primer/Paint all in one paint (don't remember the real name). It turned out great and hasn't pealed after the first year. Many people say Behr is not the greatest paint, but it's done well so far...no complaints so far

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

B-I-N is formulated for interior applications, and does not possess the same weathering properties as a conventional exterior primer. Exterior use is generally limited to spot priming of knots in bare wood.