Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remodeling Old Farmhouse

Posted by uepy1957 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 21, 09 at 10:38

My pre 1854 Federal-Victorian Farmhouse needs a complete overhaul. I need a source for idea's for paint colours,floor coverings, lighting,furniture,etc. The 6 main "3 over 3" rooms are large (15'x17')with hardwood floors. The later added galley kitchen (10'x25'!)with a prominent wood burning cook stove is a decorators challege too.
Any help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remodeling Old Farmhouse

I wish I lived next door to you! Won't it be fun picking all that stuff out! That's all the help I can give you. Someone will know the answer, though. Hang in there.

o

are you keeping the wood stove ? and could you post pics of what you are starting with...
we would love to see the before/after pics
thanks

o

With a 1854 house "that needs a complete overhaul", there are a lot of considerations to make before you decide on the decor. Important decisions. Are you going to restore it, renovate it, or do something in between? Or are you really going to remodel it (usually means to gut it & put a new house in an old shell)? Do you know what's original in the house that needs to be saved - you can bet most contractors won't?

Dreaming about how it's going to look when it's finished is a good & normal thing, but 150+ year old house is not the same as a new build or a 40 year old fixer upper. Really old houses have their own set of problems that will take a lot of effort to get it to the point of decorating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here