Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
installing beadboard ceiling over plaster

Posted by bananafana (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 10:36

Hi. I have a 1929 Tudor with a teeny 1/2 bathroom on the main floor. The ceiling has obviously been a problem for previous owners as well as for us. There is a small "rug shaking" deck on the floor above it, and over the years it has leaked numerous times. Previous owners have worked on it and so have we.....none of our attempts were very successful over the long haul. Finally we bit the bullet and installed a rubber membrane on the deck floor and sidewalls. At last the leaks are fixed. So it's time to fix the bathroom ceiling.

I wanted to put beadboard over the plaster ceiling. I plan to use the individual strips. I was thinking that I would screw firring strips along the perimeter and then nail the beadboard strips thru them and into the plaster. Does that sound like a decent plan, or does anyone have experience with this kind of thing and better ideas? I'm not very experienced with this kind of project. Thanks, Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: installing beadboard ceiling over plaster

I just did exactly that although I was lucky bc furring strips were already in place from acoustical tile ceiling.

Be sure furring strips attach to joists (w screws long enough to go thru plaster & lath). Check with level to make sure you ceiling is reasonably level and flat, If not shim the furing stirps to get them level so ceiling is a flat plane otherwise you might have trouble getting the beadboard in place.

You'll need more strips than just along the perimeter-- Id go every foot or so. Attach beadboard perpendicular to the furring strips. If you just have strips around perimeter and nail the beadboard at the ends it will sag over time.

o

I'm about to do the same in our kitchen...don't feel like dealing with all the mini hairline cracks in the ceiling...plus, there's texture & old adhesive (yes, on the ceiling)....

The ceiling isn't level...it's lowest point is somewhere in the middle with a 1/2" slope(+\-) going to the east & to the west....any advice?

This is a 1900 vernacular....I thought the beadboard would be both charming & appropriate....I intend on using the t&g style beadboard....

o

Depending on the plaster substrate (wood or metal lath) nailing could separate the plaster from the lath.

I would not recommend putting wood paneling on a bathroom ceiling even if it is painted with several coats of vapor barrier paint and well ventilated. Why not use drywall or better yet veneer plaster on blueboard (if it is available in your area)?

o

As you state it's "teeny" it also has an open porch above it, so it needs to be insulated. My idea is to bite the bullet and pull down the plaster, then insulate the exterior roof space and don't forget to add a vapor barrier, and then you can put up anything you wish. Plaster that has been compromised by water is going to continue to slough off particles of various sizes, which will just collect above the beadboard and perhaps filter through the T&G joints as a fine dust forever. So do the plastic vapor barrier at the very least.
Casey

o

This is an old thread that BMace has used to post a new question. But maybe the answers still apply.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here