Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nailing in parting beads

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 10:17

Where do you get the nails to secure parting beads in place? Is this a specialty item or can you buy them at Home Depot?

I found a site that recommends 1.5 inch hardwood trim nails from Maze Nails. These nails have a gauge of 0.072. Is this a commonly available nail?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nailing in parting beads

Do you have to nail them in? I usually just shove them back in place and rely on the paint film to keep them there.

I have a few places where earlier restorers (pre-1880's) broke a few when they changed out the small light sash for 2 X 2 (darn it!) and broke or cut a few of the orginal parting beads. The smaller pieces were nailed back in, and the rest are just held in by friction (but still need a lot of mojo to get out). I am not pleased when I run into the nailed sections.

L

o

A small finish nail is all they need.

I usually put them at the top and bottom, but far enough from the ends to eliminate any chance of splitting the parting bead.

A gun driven nail is better for reducing the chance of hammering causing any damage.

o

I don't have a nail gun.

I know I need small finish nails. I am asking where to buy them. When I nail shop at HD, the 1.5 inch long nails seem too thick to use in a parting bead.

o

They sell them at HD. If you can't find them, just ask. Tell them you need finish nails for a woodworking project.

If you don't have a nail gun, that is fine. They obviouslt didn't have nail guns when they were putting that window together originally. To prevent splitting, you can predrill a hole in the bead slightly smaller than the nail.

o

My parting beads aren't nailed in either...just fitted in and held by friction. I haven't broken any yet, so I don't know if new ones would be the same--but if the new ones are the same dimensions, it should fit the same way.

o

Buy some 1.5" stainless 18 ga. brads. Not bright steel, not even galvanized.
It's correct that they were a friction fit originally. Any nails in the bottom 1/3 will make it a bad job for the next remover of the p-beads. Nail sparingly.
Casey

o

Well, heck, if I don't have to nail them in, I'm not gonna!

o

Personally I would go to a lumberyard get 1 1/2" brads and a had brad driver and just push them in. While originally friction fit a couple of nails will insure that they will not fall out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here