Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Love the house, but not the kitchen

Posted by catchtanya (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 10:14

Hi Everyone,

We are currently torn between building or buying. We found the below house that we LOVE

http://www.redfin.com/MD/Gambrills/Undisclosed-address-21054/home/10324757

The only exception in the kitchen. I feel its reallllly tiny. It has FIVE entry points - Sliding glass door to screened in porch, entry from garage, entry to dining room, entry to basement, and entry to den.

There are photos in the above link. The kitchen seems functional enough, but really cut off and small. Not of the adjoining walls appear to be able to be removed as there is a loft space directly above the kitchen. Do you have any ideas if anything can be done to this space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Love the house, but not the kitchen

This is so funny. I used to own a similar kitchen in the same city, built in about the same year (1991). I could make no one understand how frustrating the kitchen was because it was a huge room with a tiny area for the cabinets and counters.

There were 8 sets of doors and doorways in the room - the five you mention plus a pantry, large double folding doors for the laundry area, and a powder room.

After 13 years in the house, I finally had had enough and started to work with a kitchen designer. When my then husband learned what the cost was going to be, he said we may as well sell the house. So we did.

If you are not prepared to sink some money into making the kitchen more functional, you are going to be very frustrated every time you try to prepare a meal, bake, etc.

o

I suggest you cross post this to the Kit forum. If you know the room dimensions they could come up with something. In the mean time it looks functional.

o

Instead of removing walls, you could consider closing off doors to gain more wall space. Change the sliding glass doors to a single regular door. Close off the door to the den, if there is another entryway (or if you can create one). That might give you more room.

Sometimes walls can be removed and a support beam put in to support the upper floor.

Without knowing the size of your family or your cooking/dining needs, I do have to add that one of the most functional kitchens I've had was also the smallest I've ever seen, in a tiny studio apartment in Boston. If the layout of the kitchen is well-planned, you might not need as much room as you think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here