Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beaverboard

Posted by organic_bassetlvr (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 9:58

I just found out from the folks on the Paint forum that my mystery wallboard is a product called beaverboard. There are 6 or 7 layers of wallpaper & then several coats of paint over it. There are also numerous holes from cats trying to get to mice in the walls. (I'm in the old homeplace & no work has been done there in decades) Anyone have experience with this product? Thanks in advance,
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beaverboard

It's a wood fiberboard that was usually used as a non-structural sheathing often with an outer surface weather resistent treatment like asphalt, etc. Rarely it was used on the inside in place of plaster or drywall as well since it isn't very strong and can warp. It was commonly called beaverboard, blackboard, grayboard, or buffaloboard and was made by Celotex, Homasote, International Bildrite, Georgia Pacific, Knight Celotex, and Temple Inland.

I can't tell you anything more without knowing the design of the wall and the climate.

o
RE: Beaverboard

Macv,
Thanks for the response. I'm a total novice & just learned the name of this material.This is used inside and is covered by the wallpaper & paint. It is nailed directly to the studs-I can see the nail outlines through the falling off wallpaper. Right now I have more pressing problems such as the house sliding down a hill so the interior will have to wait. I was just pleased to know what the stuff was called!
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here