Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bleigh_gw

Old House Smell??

bleigh
11 years ago

My family and I have moved into an older house built around 1963. The original owner had smoked for decades in this house and it had a really bad smoker's odor when my sister purchased the home 5 years ago. She had cleaned, primed and painted every possible surface which helped almost completely rid the home of the smoker's odor. Now that my family has taken over this home, I can't deal with the old house smell. Sometimes it's not that bad and other times it's pretty strong. We live in central Georgia with high humidity. The house is on a vented crawl space with no moisture barrier. The odor is quite noticeable when I remove an electrical wall plate for painting...guess it's coming behind the walls. I'm sure some of it is coming through the old duct system as well, but my sister did have that cleaned and repaired. We will be replacing this system in a couple years when we complete some additions.

Any suggestions on how to help control this odor? Could a moisture barrier in the crawl space be helpful? BTW, the crawlspace is really clean and the ground is dry with no signs of mold on the flooring structure.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (3)