Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baril_gw

Repainting a stucco house

Baril
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

My 1920's house, originally in wood, has been recovered with stucco in the 19?? with a yellow-ish color. It has been later on painted in beige.

While the yellow color seems to stick hard on the walls (maybe it's the pigmentation of the stucco itself), the beige one peels really easily and needs to be removed or recovered.

I want to go back to a yellow color similar to the original one. I was planning of removing the most of the peeling beige color with high-pressure washing and then repaint the house with Behr stucco paint.

Question 1 : Behr offers its product in the elastomeric version or not. I don't know which one I should prefer, opinions seems to be really divided on the net. I live near Montreal, if the weather should have an impact on my decision.

Question 2 : I've read too that painting stucco may interfere badly with its permeability. Since the house has already been paint, I don't know if the damage has already been done or if I should be careful with this. A solution might be to only remove the beige coat and not paint at all but this sounds like a really long boring job to do and the yellow is not exactly the one I was looking for....

Any advice is more than welcome, thanks!

Comment (1)