Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Tin Roof Over Old Tin Roof

Posted by davey4000 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 08 at 9:38

I just bought some property with an old log cabin on it. The tin roof leaks and is pretty rusty. Is it possible to cover the old tin with a completely new tin roof or does the old roofing "have" to come off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Tin Roof Over Old Tin Roof

For those who may get technical...metal roof.

o

I would think it is ALWAYS better to remove an old roof before installing a new roof.

o

this has a lot to do with if you can secure the new roof to the roof deck and that has a lot to do with how your house was built.

Some metal roofing MUST be placed directly on top of a solid, smooth, roof material. Others can be installed with an air gap between the old roof and the new metal roof. Wood strips (purlins) are placed over the old roof and attached securely to the roof deck. The new metal roof is then attached to these wood strips.

I think this would be possible for you to do. However, I would think that maybe removing the roof would be worth your while, as you may get some money for it because many metals are very expensive right now and companies are willing to buy and recycle it. Removing a metal roof would be easier than removing an asphalt roof also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here