Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attaching Trim Pieces,Molding, Brackets to Asbestos = Impossible?

Posted by new_homeowner1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 9:23

I recently told my contractor to forget about the vinyl and just repaint my asbestos siding.

I'd like to restore some of the architectural detail to my 150 year old house, but the contractor thinks it will be too difficult to do with my intact but brittle asbestos siding. He said the only way to add all the trim that I want would be to wrap the house in vinyl or some other siding. OR remove all the existing asbestos and trying to restore the original wood siding, which he said would take his crew around 3 weeks (expensive) and risky because we have no idea what condition wood is in underneath the asbestos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attaching Trim Pieces,Molding, Brackets to Asbestos = Impossi

new_homeowner1:

I know you're the one making the payments, but old house owners have to look at themselves more as stewards than dictators. Demolition is forever. Make sure the things you do are reversible if possible.

Strip the siding and restore the architectural features you want. The neighborhood and our collective history will be better for it. Good luck.

o

What detail is missing?

o

I'm trying to imagine your house but nothing happens.

With apologies to Lou Costello, you need to show us what your house looks like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here