Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hgolightly_gw

cast iron fireplace insert?

hgolightly
14 years ago

We have a 1910 Greek Revival with three fireplaces. We recently purchased a lovely cast iron fireplace insert and I have some questions regarding installing it.

Although it fits perfectly in our fireplace, due to it's weight (and the fact that it sits straight up in the fireplace opening) it falls forward when we place it in the opening. This makes we wonder if there was some sort of 'latch' in the original fireplace (in the home from where it came) that would hold the insert in place?

Since we are wanting to use it in our home (which was not designed for the insert), are there any suggestions as to how we can get it to lay snuggly in the opening, yet not tip forward?

I should also mention that it is in two sections. One larger rectangle that fits in the fireplace opening and also on the outside of the brick, and then a very decorative cast iron "screen" that goes in the middle.

Am I missing parts? Any thoughts from those who have an insert like this, or know anything abou them as to how I can make this work in my home?

Many thanks!

Comments (3)