Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Countertop paint?

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 8:53

Hi all -- I have a 1938 bungalow with a very small kitchen that was allegedly updated sometime in the 1980s. The existing laminate countertop was clearly custom-pieced.... there's a pass-through counter to the dining room, there's an odd corner taken up by the chimney, there are seams in places where you'd rather not have seams, and there are cig burns next to the sink that drive me nuts because the counter always looks dirty there. lol! I asked my sister & BIL to look at it and they say it will be a PITA to replace the laminate because of all the piecing/fitting that will need to be done. Hence, I'm considering using countertop paint and wonder if anyone here has tried it and what their experience was.

I've been researching the two most popular/available granite-look countertop paints: Giani and Rustoleum. Based on the reviews and comments I've read on-line, I'm leaning toward trying the far less expensive Giani brand!

Has anyone here tried using a countertop paint? and what can you tell me about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Countertop paint?

Search Google for painting countertops. Many people have done it with ordinary latex paint and clear sealant.

The trick is to scuff it up with fine sandpaper, use a primer like "GrabZ" or "the Grabber" that sticks to almost everything, and then roll on your color coats with a foam roller.

You have to pamper them a bit - no scouring powder, take it easy on the mustard and yellow curry spills, but it will be prettier than what you have.

o

My DD has this in her apartment. From ten feet it looks like real stone. It feels like paint to the touch though. They've been there a while without any scratching or chipping. One word of caution though, the painters did not remove the sinks and there is a shadow of paint along the edge. This is what tipped me off that it was paint. Good taping is the key to success here.

o

Thanks for the replies! I'm flopping back and forth over whether I dare do this. I keep thinking that a failed paint job will be worse than what I have now. :p

lazygardens, I wondered if the paint had to be anything special! I read reviews saying that the countertop paint was much more durable if it was covered with a good hard polyurethane.

maryinthefalls, I had never considered what it would feel like! and thanks for the tip on taping. I hate taping for painting, so that won't be the fun part if I do this. :p

o

Buy a kit for that purpose and follow the directions. You can even add a granite appearance to help disguise the seams.

o

Did you see this discussion over on the Cooking Forum?

Here is a link that might be useful: New kitchen including discussion on repainting countertops

o

Yes I did, colleenoz -- that's the 2nd time I've seen the topic come up on the Cooking forum -- that conversation led me to ask about it here. lol!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here