Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sombreuil_mongrel: question about your door.

Posted by mrsrichards (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 8:25

I didn't want to totally hijack the "favorite features" thread, hope you don't mind if I started a new one! Regarding your lovely front door; was it painted when you got it? Or did you just have to strip the old varnish and start from there? If it was painted, did you have trouble removing all of the old paint from the wood grain? Our front door is painted on the outside, but in it's original varnished state on the inside - which is beautiful. I would love to restore the exterior to the original wood, but have been told that we would never be able to get all of the old paint out of the grooves and it would not look right... If you did start with a painted door, how did you get it looking so amazing? Or is there some paint left that is not visible in the pictures...?? We are at the point now where it either needs to be painted or refinished... obviously I will not paint it if there is any hope of restoring the original finish! THanks for any feedback you may have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sombreuil_mongrel: question about your door.

Hi,
The weird thing was, it was painted many layers of white on the inside, and had green paint over an original faux-grain on the outside.I stripped both sides down to bare wood, but it was a lot easier getting 100% removal on the faux graining, because it had apparently been oiled or varnished underneath. I use a heat gun and sharp paint scrapers primarily. I sharpen the scraper with a file about every dozen strokes. Lead paint really dulls the steel.
The inside had the typical white primer from the 1880's that really soaked in deeply.
I used a lot of sharp scrapers and picks to get out as much as possible, then, the old-house woodwork restorer's cure-all-- gel stain-- took care of the rest. I used a dark red mahogany (merlot) liquid stain, then a seal coat of shellac, and a toning coat of Java gel stain to tone down the red and leave some "character" in the moldings and corners. Next went a coat or three of garnet shellac, and a wipe-on poly satin gel varnish for some UV and weather protection.
The stain job, lower interior
Casey

o

I'm on the same boat as mrsrichards with my front door (except both sides are covered in paint, ugh), so this post is a huge help to me. Thanks so much for sharing this info, Casey!

o

I'm on the same boat as mrsrichards with my front door (except both sides are covered in paint, ugh), so this post is a huge help to me. Thanks so much for sharing this info, Casey!

o

I can tell that this door came from a home where money was spent. Paint,back in the day was expensive. Then it became a lot cheaper.

o

It really looks gorgeous!

I think I will go ahead and try to strip the paint off. Then if I can't get it all I will just re-paint it. Can't hurt, right? And I don't think it will close right with another layer on it ~ pretty tight fit already!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here