Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blakeas

Older Window Mutins

blakeas
15 years ago

I have a home built in 86 - seems like the windows are original. The mutins on the outside of the window seem to have a problem. they are developing cracks and some of the wood is flaking off. it seems like the mutin is a 3 part wood. Can i just take the side of the mutin off and caulk to repair? Any suggestions?

Comments (16)

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Is the window putty glazed true-divided-light single-glazed or is it simulated-divided-light double-glazed?

I doubt that caulk would be a good solution in either case.

• blakeas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"putty glazed true-divided-light single-glazed or is it simulated-divided-light double-glazed"

I am not sure as I am not an expert in these things. would a picture help? doubleglazed means 2 pieces of glass? I only think i have 1 pane of glass..

Well if caulk does not work than what should I do?

• worthy
    15 years ago

Unless this is a really picky custom house, I'm sure they're only simulated, ie., one piece of glass with wood on the outside to imitate the look of older windows. Exterior wood filler can be used. Since this is wood, expect to touch up and repaint every few years.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Single glazed true divided light glass is probably installed from the outside with tiny metal clips and sealed to the muntins with putty. The putty has probably gotten brittle and is falling out. You will need to remove the rest of it and install new putty. I suggest you hire someone who knows how to do it.

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

Hi blakeas. I'm not a window pro, but have live in old houses. I looked at your pictures and I think mightanvil is correct. The glazing or putty is old and cracked. It needs to be removed and replaced. Its a fairly straightforward job for any house painter.

• blakeas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a broken muntin or bottom pane part:

the wood frame seems to have a groove in it. And this part that is coming off seems to have a slot to fit into the groove. This is also happenning to all of my muntins - but this is the only thing that flaked off.

• worthy
    15 years ago

That certainly looks like putty, in which case it should be all removed and replaced as arlosmom says.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

It is not wood, but glazing putty.

Dap 33 is a good brand.
    Remove as much of the putty from each light using a putty knife.
    Wipe the old surface clean with paint thinner, then apply new putty.
    It takes a little practice to work the putty in your hand to the correct temperature before pressing it into place and then striking it off with a putty knife.

• blakeas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How do I make a professional edge like in my current muntins?

• arlosmom
    15 years ago

nice soft putty, a putty knife and a lot of practice.

• blakeas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Should I just replace the window itself? Leave the frame but do the sashes? If so, where do I start looking to do that myself? And how do I know what my frames will accept?

• User
    15 years ago

If you have money to waste, go ahead and replace the sashes.

If you aren't comfortable replacing the putty, find a window restoration (RESTORE, not replace) in your area. Pay to have 1 window done, closely watch what the restorer does, then do the rest yourself.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

The cheapest possible way to repair your windows is to hire somepne who knows how to do it. You will be amazed at how fast they can install a glass pane and how much better it will look. You can paint the sash yourself but ask the glazer to show you how to do that properly.

It would cost a small fortune to replace all of the sash. If you want better looking, more energy efficient windows for great expense consider replacement windows, but don't imagine you can install them yourself.

• bostonpam
    15 years ago

My husband and I reglazed our 2nd floor windows in '99 (30 6 over 6 double hung windows). The 1st couple weren't pretty but we soon got a hang of it. We made sure the first few were in the kids' bedrooms. It saved us over $15k. I plan to reglaze the 26 windows on the 1st floor myself this year during our major renovation project. Our house was built in 1825 and some of the windows are original. Most of them are from a major renovation from 1910's. I would never consider replacement windows on an historic house.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

There is a real knack to getting the putty the right consistency to work and strike off smoothly with the putty knife.

During the spring and fall it is not to bad.
    Hot weather makes the putty to soft and sticky, so I keep the can in an ice cooler.
    It gets to cold usually, but working it a few minutes in your hands softens it up.
    In winter it takes longer to warm it up by working in your hands, and if you wait to long to strike off it gets hard.