Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gkrizel

Spanish or Mediterranean? Help me with my 1927 home.

gkrizel
10 years ago

I have enjoyed reading posts on this site and now need to ask for some assistance.

We recently purchased a home built in 1927 it is said to be Mediterranean as recorded with the historic district however there are no other homes identified as such in the neighborhood/district. There are other Spanish and I am not sure what the difference really is between Spanish and Mediterranean.

Sadly the home was badly abused by the prior owner and very little was salvageable. No joke it could have been on hoarders and if that wasn't bad enough there were spray pain murals in almost every room. Amazingly the hardwood floors are in solid shape (need to be repaired in some places and refinished but overall solid) as well as the white hexagon tile in the bath. I am going to be able to have the interior doors refinished and am able to use the original hardware.

The 1920 cast wall sconces were spray painted neon colors and although I intended on saving them to see what I could do to restore them they were "lost" after they were removed from the wall. I am not sure if they were thrown out by mistake by the workers doing some demo clean up or stolen. Yes, I am still bitter about this. I found one laying in the yard so I have it but the others are gone.

I would love suggestions on kitchen cabinets and appropriate lighting.

I don't want to decorate with an overly spanish/mediterranean dark, heavy style because it is not my personal taste but I want to make sure and keep the historic integrity of the home intact- any advice is appreciated.

Comments (3)