Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ks_toolgirl

'Irene' & east coast forum members

ks_toolgirl
12 years ago

I just want to send all of my best wishes & prayers to all old-house owners on the east coast, in the possible path of hurricane Irene.

I wish for you & your homes to stay safe & secure - in that order! It must be worrisome, at least, to see that slowly headed your way. In Kansas, dangerous weather pops up - coming & gone in hours - the days of uncertainty must be stressful! Your houses were built to withstand - & have done so - this kind of storm... Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you.

May your hatches be battened down - & may it be unnecessary!

Just wanted to put that out there. Thinking of my sister & family in Baltimore area, & thought of any of you in the possible path, as well.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Thanks, first the earthquake, now this, may as well move to California :)

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Thanks, KS. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us, especially those on the coast. I'm in central VA so we're not supposed to take a direct hit but still, on the western side there's always the possibility of tornados. And tornados & old brick buildings are not a good combination.........as I'm sure you know!

• rafor
    12 years ago

christophern: nah, cause then you'd have to get plastic surgery!!!!!

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

christophern: nah, cause then you'd have to get plastic surgery!!!!!

I guess thats true
    anyway, here in MD it is still a little windy( 5;30 AM) and raining but not near what they were calling for, 8 inches. the coast took the brunt of it.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Turned out to not be nearly as bad as initially expected.

Sympathies for all those that lost a loved one to this storm but it could have been much worse.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Im in s central pa we had sooo much rain,winds were really bad during the nite and this am. Electric was out. My pool is filled to brim,limbs,leaves everywhere..

• beaniebakes
    12 years ago

I'm in upstate NY, Mohawk Valley just west of Albany. Fortunately, my home wasn't damaged and I have electricity but I couldn't get to work today. Most of the counties have declared states of emergency and roads and bridges are closed. There's been significant flooding of the Schoharie Creek which flows through Schoharie and Montgomery counties into the Mohawk River which, in turn, flows into the Hudson River. Communities have been devastated. The historic Stockade district in Schenectady is flooding from the Mohawk as I write this and flood levels are expected to set a historic record. Many farms were flooded and one of them lost 100 cows. National news media have covered the Catskills and Vermont, but not this area. Please keep this region in your thoughts and prayers.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Beaniebakes, my thoughts are with you & your community. In Richmond VA, we weren't supposed to get anything but some rain but instead had 12+ hours of heavy rain driven by 50-65 mph winds that were higher than they had in the direct path. Much of the area is without power but somehow our historic district is in tact & most of us never lost electricity - a real treat compared to 10 days without power when Isabel came through. Oh, & all of this was only days after the earthquake that was about 50 miles away that took off my neighbor's parapet!

• beaniebakes
    12 years ago

antiquesilver... I appreciate your thoughts. While all of this was going on, there was a minor earthquake yesterday outside of Albany that threatened a small dam; really unnerving. It was the second quake in two weeks.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

A lot of people on this forum are on the East Coast - & we haven't heard from them. That's the scary part.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

I have calls from the earthquake in Virginia but nothing much from Irene.

West of Washington, DC it did not really do all that much.