Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceiling height under mansard roof?

Posted by bostonhome (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 31, 09 at 0:30

I gutted the 3rd floor interior of my Victorian house which is under a mansard roof. The interior walls along the perimeter are slanted. I also put in skylights on the roof to get more light in areas like the bathroom. Should I keep the ceiling flat for the entire floor (8 ft high) like the original? Or go higher almost cathedral but with a flat ceiling above at 10 ft?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceiling height under mansard roof?

if it were my house and I didn't need the crawl space, I'd go higher. We gutted the top floor of our mansard but kept the ceilings the original height (8.5') because we installed AC and needed the "attic" for the ductwork.

o
RE: Ceiling height under mansard roof?

If additional room is easily available, even if it's straight up, you're usually best going for it. Even a foot of extra ceiling height makes a room looks much larger and with interesting walls like gables or a mansard, it would be more dramatic. Harder to wall in, yes.........heat, yea. But most of us who live in large, old houses knew that when we bought them. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here