Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1950's incinerator, can it be removed?

Posted by detroit_burb (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 0:27

This ugly monster is built into the basement wall. it vents out into the planter boxes on the front of my home. The vent has since been filled with concrete.

I opened the top door and it was filled with burn stuff, likely many years old. There were rags in there, scorched, and soot, which I tried my best to vacuum out. There was an intact baby diaper pin, and some wads of tin foil, some shards of what looks like brick, but could be creosote, the rest was soot. After doing my best cleaning it, there appears to be a grate on the "floor" of this top door. The bottom door was filled with soot, I began to shovel it out, and it seems there is dirt below it, no bottom.

It is a rusting cast iron eyesore, it is disgusting, I find it creepy.

I want to get rid of it. Any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1950's incinerator, can it be removed?

Sure. Just take it out.

We had one where I grew up. Installed about 1940. Sold house in 1989. Had to remove it to meet code. Too bad. No sweat. It worked good. Looked good. Hated to see it go. :-)

o

"Had to remove it to meet code."

Assuming it had "met code" when it was installed, why did you have to bring it up to current "code?"

Just asking, no hassle.

o

Well that is how I remember it.

Not sure exactly why anymore. An inspector went thru and I had to do lots of things. I wasn't in a position to argue and didn't. Not one word! If he said remove it I removed it. Tho it vented thru the chimney by '89 burning trash may have become illegal. Maybe he just didn't like it. Dunno.

I had been away 30 years. Lots must have changed. At the time of installation (circa WW2) you could burn your papers etc in a barrel in the back yard. Burn your leaves in the street. Too much bacon grease in your pan? A quick trip to the alley and pour some out fixt it. So there probly wasn't any code at that time. Seems like the world hung a bit looser then.

o

The reason for my question is that generally you do not need to bring items up to CURRENT code at time of sale unless you have at some point opened or modified an item. Clearly there are exceptions - where I live in order to transfer title to a residence ther must be fire/smoke detectors installed. (New construction requires powered units.)

I remember as a boy my Dad burning leaves in the gutter, and waste in the back yard. Heating the house with coal was also common in NYC. I do not remember anyone having an indoor incinerator in a home...

Thanks for the reply.

o

Maybe because the vents were sealed and it would be a hazard if anyone tried to use it and you wouldn't be able to get a C of O from the Fire Marshall?Just a guess.

o

how do I take it out? There was another incinerator unit in addition to this one, that vented above it through the chimney which was taken apart and taken away by a scrap guy.

o

"Maybe because the vents were sealed and it would be a hazard if anyone tried to use it and you wouldn't be able to get a C of O from the Fire Marshall?Just a guess."

Which would mean it had been opened or modified as I said in the post before yours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here