Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Risk of removing vinyl siding

Posted by jenangelcat (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 23:49

After reading a couple of threads about the evils of vinyl siding over the old wood siding I decided to have a little looksie under my vinyl. We have a window that was sided over but not recovered from the inside so I could kinda see from there. We definitely have wood siding under the vinyl and it appears to be green.

No idea how long the vinyl's been up, it's in pretty good condition, it's just a hideous colour, cheap looking and doesn't go with the brick that is also on the house.

Can someone point me in the direction of the process of removing the siding, risk vs benefits and what I'd do with the wood siding if we exposed it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Risk of removing vinyl siding

I suggest checking the posts and forums at oldhouseweb.com. Many other old home owners have gone through what you are facing and have posted their experiences.

Good luck and hope you get rid of the vinyl!

o
RE: Risk of removing vinyl siding

I didn't do it yet with my house, but I did look into what we need to do. Taking vinyl siding off is easy, I've done it by myself, then make sure all the nails are out. Fill in the nail holes with putty and sand flush. Now the hard part, you will probably have to come up with some window trim and corner boards or whatever woodwork was stripped when your house was prepped for vinyl. Depending on if and how your windows were replaced you may need to get some siding too or you may need to reinstall the windows now that you don't have the same wall depth. Then prep for paint (scrape, sand or strip old loose paint), prime if needed and repaint.

I can't imagine any risks involved, but again I haven't actually done it yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here