Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Spiders galore

golddust
13 years ago

Is this just in my neighborhood? I feel like I should give them names. What do the rest of you do about them? I have a blower that shoots air out at 230 MPH, the webs take a direct hit yet I still have leftovers.

What is the secret?

Comments (11)

• karinl
    13 years ago

Under our porch overhang... same story. Spiders themselves and webs, those little nesty fuzzballs that stick like glue, and spider poop all over the place, which does not wash off. We powerwash periodically, and sweep the odd time, have been known to haul out the shop vac, but I always wonder how other people manage - do they go out and sweep the walls of their house and their porch overhang every day? And if so, why do I never see them doing it?

We used to have a huge conifer (neighbour's) enveloping the front corner of the house, and it is better since that's gone; remaining plantings at the house may also be aggravating the problem a bit.

KarinL

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

Oh yeah! For me it's a periodic tour around the outside of the house with the old broom sweeping the siding, the window frames, even the neighbors siding (our houses are sooo close together). If there's a better way, I'm ready to try it! :-)

• User
    13 years ago

As a matter of information, I've been offshore more than 100 miles, and the spiders are drifting on the breeze attached to a fine thread of web. So turning the fan on them is not a way to get rid of them.

I'm told that the pale blue ceiling paint on old porches was because they added ARSENIC to the exterior paint, just to kill the spiders. Whether that is the truth or not, I don't know, not having a background in chemistry.

But keeping OTHER insects away will help reduce the spider population, since they set up their webs to snare other insects. I have an exterminator who uses pyrethrin insecticides for me (I have parrots), and we have no issues with spiders. Of course, I also do not leave on outside lights which attract flying insects and therefore spiders.

• karinl
    13 years ago

Geez, moccasin, thank you for that thought. I leave the porch light on all night every night, because we live in a grotty neighbourhood and darkness does not improve its friendliness; light does. Also, the paper comes at some ungodly hour and I don't like to ask the paperboy (er... paperman? paperlady?) to come into my heavily planted yard in the dark... creepy. So I may be attracting spiders though. Hmm. Maybe I need to put the lights away from the house.

This is also a hint for other areas around the house and I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of this as being as obvious as it is for bedbugs: food source plus harbourage = home.

But now why do I have the darn things in the basement too???

KarinL

• User
    13 years ago

Do not have experience with basements, since few houses down here have them. I wonder if your basement is a cool place with some air circulation that attracts insects seeking a dark cool spot during the daytime... I know mosquitos will head for the shade of bushes when it is hot outside.

I took a picture of two golden orb spiders which built their webs overnight outside my back porch several years ago. I left them alone so they could do a number on mosquitos.
    Below is a link to the picture in my Webshots albums.
    Incidentally, I've seen larger spiders than this in the tree limbs overhanging a bayou, where the spiders were as large as the end joint of my thumb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Orb spiders

• calliope
    13 years ago

"I leave the porch light on all night every night, because we live in a grotty neighbourhood and darkness does not improve its friendliness; light does. Also, the paper comes at some ungodly hour and I don't like to ask the paperboy (er... paperman? paperlady?) to come into my heavily planted yard in the dark... creepy. So I may be attracting spiders though. Hmm. Maybe I need to put the lights away from the house."

No, you need to put a motion sensor on your lights, so they only come on when someone approaches and light is needed. It will cut down on your electric bill, and flying nocturnal insects, and it should also be much more effective as a crime or trespassing deterrent. Light casts shadows in which 'up-to-no-goods' can hide. It also provides a spotlight view of doors and windows, or purloin-able goods. The shock factor of a light snapping on when someone trespasses is very effective. It says 'you have been detected'.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

" So I may be attracting spiders though."

You are attracting insects, and the spiders follow to the banquet.

• Linda Rosario
    13 years ago

If you have ivy climbing up your walls, pretty as it is, yank it - spiders LOVE this stuff.

I recently just paid an unmentionable amount to have a professional come in - when your "new" old house looks like something out of a horror film due to spider webs and you find a brown recluse or two in your bedroom... it's time to call someone else.

Good luck !

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• energy_rater_la
    13 years ago

y'all are creeping me out.

• worthy
    13 years ago

A few of these guys in your yard make short work of spiders.

Flying Draco Lizard

• cardwellave
    13 years ago

I also get quite a few in and around my home. Tried using some of that home defense spray all over the place, I think they laughed at it (actually it's helped a little...I think). My lot, particular the back, is heavily wooded which doesn't help either. However the mosquito problem is far worse than the spiders...thinking about installing a bat house.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner