Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cmae17

plaster wall

cmae17
12 years ago

scraped off the wallpaper and found this..a gray thin plaster layer with what looks like yellowed glue over the layer under the gray. Do I need scape the gray layer off before I paint?{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• cmae17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trying to reinsert above pic

• cmae17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I removed a layer of painted wallpaper & some of the gray layer scraped off with the paper. The thin gray layer appears to be part of the plaster process. Don't know for sure but is that right that I should scrape off the gray layer before painting?

• karinl
    12 years ago

What you do depends on (a) what happens when the layers you have get wet, and (b) what effect you want to have after painting.

I can't tell from the photo what is layered over what, and the colours are different from mine, but I think you can figure it out if you see if anything softens up when you spray it with water - that will soften up when you paint. Anything that isn't water soluble can stay on the wall.

Then the next question is just how smooth you want the wall. If smooth, you'll need to even out the layers, either by removing or adding - adding is a lot easier; just some spackle to soften the transitions or to fill whole craters, up to you.

I'm guessing maybe Christophern didn't fully read the question and thought you were asking if you need to remove the glue; that's how I read it first.

KarinL

• cmae17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gray is the top layer and it's very thin. I was thinking I might have to skimcoat to fill it out which won't take much. The wall areas are divided by floor to ceiling windows so should be easy. This was the first area so now I'm being very careful. Sherwin Williams told me to score the paper then spray fabric softener/hot water and let it set 5 min or so.

• karinl
    12 years ago

You can get a special tool for removing wallpaper, not the tiger that just shreds it (and scores the plaster) but a scraper-like knife. After my husband uses that to take off the six layers, I use water to take off the residue.

KarinL

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

The grey layer will come off if you get it wet. You need to scrape it off with a wall paper scraper( big razor blade). If you just want to skim over it, prime with Gardz first and after.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"You can get a special tool for removing wallpaper..."

A 5 or 6 inch drywall knife works well.

If the surface is very smooth a 4 or 5 inch wide razor scraper also works (but is easier to damage the wall with).

If you use a razor scraper by LOTS of blades.
    They sometimes are dull after just a few inches.

• cmae17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all very much..I always come back to this site for the answers! Sorry for all the posting errors..First time I used photobucket.

• karinl
    12 years ago

Wallpaper scraper at link below.

Got ours at the local paint store. One blade has done a full wall. My husband is more co-ordinated than average; I might have gouged the wall - he didn't.

KarinL

Here is a link that might be useful: wallpaper scraper

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"One blade has done a full wall."

I only use a razor scrapper for painted paper.

Steam or DIF (enzyme) softens up unpainted paper easily enough to use just a drywall knife.

• cmae17
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm using the blade scraper..I find if I use a swerving motion instead of straight up or over the paper comes off in much longer pieces. Now that I know more I'm nicking less.