Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting my aluminum siding

Posted by kathy77 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 23:21

I have a 1949 tract ranch house with old white aluminum siding. I don't want to pay to redo the siding, mainly due to cost. The old siding seems to be in good shape, admittedly ugly. My neighbor, on the left in the first photo had their siding painted, and it looks good to me. So that's my plan. The photos are from Google images, caught with my front door open. My door is steel, with the half crescent window, and it's painted robins egg blue.
My neighbor on the left had theirs painted a soft greyish blue. My neighbor on the right has a fake stone exterior, topped off with shingles. I just realized looking at my street, most of the houses have shutters.
What color would you suggest I paint it?
Should I add shutters? There's no room for shutters around the picture window, but I could add them to the bedroom windows. You can see the size and placement of both bedroom windows on my neighbors house to the left.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting my aluminum siding

Second photo

o

Aren't both color and shutters very much matters of personal taste? e.g. I like houses in that style to be yellow and have no idea why. Very light yellow. I can't see the trim clearly but I'm also liking various shades of white to pale cream or gray body with aqua/teal/peacock trim. So don't go by me!

And I don't like fake shutters at all. Does that help? :-)

o

Sure, it helps to know I'm ok without shutters. I told the guys who are going to paint it I was thinking of pink, but they said NO to that. LOL.
I'll take a look at pale yellow, thanks.

o

There are neighborhoods like yours around me and I drive through them a lot. I do see pink and would agree on NO to that. :-)

o

What about Behr Lemon Chiffon?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here