Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beauseau

Smelly basesment?

beauseau
14 years ago

We have an old farmhouse 1889. Every time you walk in the back door you a met by a musty smell. I am guessing it is coming from the basement. I have pulled up all the area rug and cleaned everything (house has all hardwood floors). I have smelled this odor before, but it is just stronger now. I am guessing it is coming from the basement. Yet I do not smell it when I walk downstairs.

Recently do to water problems in the basement we had a sump pump installed....believe it or not our house never had a sump pump prior to this. The basement walls are the original poured concrete. Half of the basement has a poured concrete floor the other half is dirt.

Having the sump pump and outside french drains installed to keep water away from the house was super expensive, but cheaper than installing drainage tiles around the house so that is the option we chose. While it has helped and we no longer have standing water problems in the basement, the floor and walls still get moist from time to time.

We looked into having a dehumidifier added to the furnace, but again, a huge expense. So I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or expertise to help us in making a decision on what to do next...I really hate the smell!

Thanks, Wendi

Comments (7)