Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different flooring affecting resale?

Posted by paucie (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 22:37

We're still on the fence about what flooring we want to use in our 1897 kitchen - linoleum or hardwood.

We had an installer come by and give us a quote. I told him what I LIKE (which is wide-planked pine in a dark stain), but also told him I was afraid to use it because it wouldn't match the rest of the hardwood on the first floor.

This installer told me that it was common for there to be different woods used in adjoining rooms of old homes. And, turns out, we have maple and walnut in the LR, and Douglas Fir in the DR and sitting room.

So would a dark pine look okay in the kitchen even though it butts up against the reddish-brown-stained Douglas Fir? And, would that deter future buyers? (We're not planning to sell anytime soon.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different flooring affecting resale?

I like contrasting rooms. It makes it different, you know you are in a new room. But I have heard people on HGTV complain when the wood color changes.

o

Our 1910 kitchen floor is pine, the rest of the downstairs flooring is oak, and upstairs is maple. Looks good. Don't be afraid to mix wood.

o

jcin - Are those different stains, too? I'd like to go much darker (and less red) than the Douglas Fir flooring.

o

What you do in a old house and what you would do in a newer modern house are two different things. In a old house it's totally acceptable and very often expected that flooring is not going to match.
Houses were very often built piece meal. You couldn't always get what you wanted and things ended up mismatched. What it comes down to is what are you willing to live with?

o

I like the wide plank idea, but can you do it in a color/tone that more closely matches the fir? That will go a long way in adding continuity. Yes, you can do different species, but it should all flow.

o

Absolutely agree about mixed woods in old houses. And love our OG fir and oak.

That said, adore having (natural) linoleum in our kitchen -- for our needs, it's great in terms of both looks and maintenance.

Good luck with your decision!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here