Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete squares in yard

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 21:50

There are three concrete squares in my yard that I can't figure out. They are all the same size, 17 inches square with a 9 inch square open space in the center. They appear to have been set in a straight line down the center of the lot side to side. On is on the edge of the front porch, one is approximately in the center of the yard front-to-back, and one is at the rear of the property.

The house was built in 1919. Any idea what these could have been used for?

concrete square - back yard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete squares in yard

to support fence posts?

o

They may have been taken from a construction site somewhere by a former owner in the hopes of finding a use for them. Now they're your problem.

o

They look like chimney block, to quickly build a flue. They are a little on the small side. How tall/deep are they?
Casey

o

The one in the center of the yard, which looks like it is set on another one, is 8 inches high. Picture below.

Like haus_proud, I first thought they were brought in by a previous owner looking to use them as planters. But when I realized the placement appeared to be in a straight line front to back, I went looking for a purpose for them.

However, now that I look at the photo below, everything around that block is part of a 15 year old extension to the house. The slab to the left could not have been poured if the concrete was there, right? So I guess I will go back to thinking that they were brought in as garden planters.

concrete square back porch

o

I think they are old concrete blocks for building flues. The slab to the left could have been poured, and then the block could have been put in place (or replaced). They should work fine for planters.

o

"I think they are old concrete blocks for building flues."

That would be a very poor flue.

Flue tile is fired tile to resist the heat and make sure flue gas cannot penetrate.

o

brickeyee-
Yes, but with flue liner installed! Since they're not going to be used for that purpose, it's not much of an issue...

o

Brickeyee, poor indeed! But they still make 'em. The more I think about it, it's not big enough for a flue block. I think it was a pier block, capable of being filled with rebar and concrete for a very solid pier.
Casey

o

"Yes, but with flue liner installed!"

Not large enough for much of anything, especially if you tried to line them. That would take at least another inch off the dimensions.

"I think it was a pier block, capable of being filled with rebar and concrete for a very solid pier."

Far more likely.
Concrete has huge strength in compression, and minimal rebar and grout would stabilize a column.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here