Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimisma_gw

Inside mount blinds and original trim?

mimisma
14 years ago

I have a 1930's Tudor bungalow with windows that have never been painted or drilled into. The former owners cared for all the wood beautifully and used drapes or outside mount blinds for covering.

Will I regret installing inside mount blinds and drilling into the wood of the windows? I figured if I wanted to remove the blinds later, the holes could be filled and stained to match the rest of the trim. I like the look of inside mount blinds better but several family members have said it would be a shame to damage trim that has been so well cared for for almost 80 years.

Am I underestimating the effort that would be required to repair the trim? Also, is there any potential impact to the value of the home?

Comments (2)

• powermuffin
    14 years ago

Having just stripped and restained my windows, I would be very sad to see yours marred. The holes are not as easy to repair as you might think. Why not just use tension rods for an inside mount? I've seen many nice window treatments done this way.
    Diane

• calliope
    14 years ago

My thoughts exactly. I use tension rods for a lot of my projects in this old house.