Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newdawn1895

What is your favorite style of home?

newdawn1895
15 years ago

Question? What is your favorite style of home? I love Dutch Colonial house's. Although, I don't own one, I do love them so.

Remember the house in Father of the Bride? That is a Dutch Colonial isn't it?

What is your favorite?

.....Jane

Comments (15)

• scootawop
    15 years ago

Small Craftsman foursquares, then Craftsman bungalows. Lots of built-in furniture. Must be under 1300 square feet; otherwise it's just too damn big.

• johnmari
    15 years ago

Bungalows, no question, followed by smaller Queen Annes and Gothic Revivals. It's built-ins, moldings, (real) wood paneling, porches, that kind of thing that do it for me.

The "Father of the Bride" house is a pretty standard two-story Colonial Revival, if a big and fancy one, not a Dutch Colonial. A Dutch Colonial almost invariably has a gambrel roof.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

Cape and Saltbox.

• kimkitchy
    15 years ago

My favorite since I was a kid are the big rambling ornate Victorians. My home is a lovely, if modest, bungalow. I love it too and I know I couldn't afford to restore a big vic anyway... but oh I love to look at them!

• blackcats13
    15 years ago

I'd be hard pressed to decide between the modest Chicago bungalow and the big ornate Victorian. Worlds apart, I know, but what do you expect from a Gemini!

• calliope
    15 years ago

Steam Boat Gothic!

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh how interesting. Thank you Johnmari, then I must say that a "Colonial Revival" is a big favorite of mine. I live in a small Victorian cottage.

Blackcats you are such a Gemini! lol

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

Just about anything built between about 1910 and WWII.

• johnmari
    15 years ago

bungalow_house, I often define my preferred design period as "pretty much anything from 1880-1920"! :-)

I did end up in a ca. 1900 house, but it lacks virtually all the interesting details I noted above with the exception of a porch. It's a small (~1250sf, but originally around 900sf) millworker's house in an old factory town so it was built pretty plain to begin with - no built-ins, no fancy moldings, no wood paneling/wainscots. The floorplan and front bay window (and the original two-over-one windows, now in some landfill somewhere *sigh*) are pure Late Victorian, one old photo we've seen showed a slightly Eastlake-ish shingle-and-clapboard exterior and two exterior doorknobs are quintessential Eastlake, but the plain wide moldings, chamfered square porch posts and solid porch walls instead of spindled railing are more reminiscent of early Arts & Crafts. We looked at a few Queen Annes that were fancier and that aroused major houselust but all needed a huge amount of work and were barely affordable even in their decrepit states. Megabummer, I'd enjoy decorating around inlaid floors and stained-glass windows!

• katsmah
    15 years ago

I love the Second Empire Victoians with their Mansard roofs. Followed closely by Queen Anns.

• road_runner315
    15 years ago

Posted by johnmari (My Page) on Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 9:56

"The "Father of the Bride" house is a pretty standard two-story Colonial Revival, if a big and fancy one, not a Dutch Colonial. A Dutch Colonial almost invariably has a gambrel roof."

I believe my house is a Dutch Colonial Revival, but it does not have a gambrel roof. Any ideas?

• road_runner315
    15 years ago

the Steve Martin version of "Father of the Bride" featured this house:

• worthy
    15 years ago

I quite like this recently built highly detailed eclectic Victorian not far from me in Toronto. It mirrors the features of the {{!gwi}} homes built in the earliest Toronto suburb, Rosedale, that was developed from the late 1860s through the 1920s. Unfortunately, current height by-laws limit the soaring rooflines and third floors of the earlier homes.

When I first came on it, I wondered if I had gotten lost. "How did this get up here?" It's now for sale for $4.3 million. (I have no financial interest in this property or its sale.)

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love your house Roadrunner, it's absolutely gorgeous. That is the type of house I am talking about. So it is called a Dutch Colonial Revival. It looks very similair to the Father of the Bride house to me. I bet Christmas is magical at your house, huh?

That is some house worthy. It really does look like a house from a century ago or more.

Did anyone see the movie, Sex and the City? I love the Manhattan apartment Mr. Big and Carrie bought together in the movie.

• rogerc
    15 years ago

Spanish Revival.

I recently purchased land in the foothills of a desert mountain just outside of Phoenix. My plan is to build a 100 year old house. :)

I'm designing it to be either in the Spanish Colonial or Spanish Mission style.

Here is a link that might be useful: