Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would like to identify vintage tile

Posted by kathleenobrien (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 20:58

My house was built in 1948. Though the house is generally postwar-zero-style-but-plenty-of-character, the fireplace surround is rather dramatic: It's made of glossy, claret-colored ceramic or porcelain tile (6" x 6") that has straight ripples in it, six ripples per tile. I saw tile like this one other time, on the front of an old movie theater in Seattle (I think it was green, though). I'm the second owner of this house, and while the previous owners maintained it well, they changed/updated almost nothing, so I believe this tile is original, though I can't be sure. I've searched the Internet using every search cue I can think of, looking at countless tile photos, but I haven't happened upon it yet.

Does this description sound familiar to anyone? I'd love to know what "sort" of tile I have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would like to identify vintage tile

Could you post a picture?

o
RE: Would like to identify vintage tile

I'd like to. I have photos, but I can't figure out how to load them into the message. I know it's possible because I see it on other msgs, but I don't find instructions. Am I overlooking them??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here