Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilettante_gw

Need help fixing crappy replacement windows

dilettante_gw
10 years ago

A PO replaced the original double-hung windows in my 1870 house with no-name wooden windows with metal jamb-liners. The windows are (supposed to be, at least) held in position with metal coil springs hidden behind the jamb-liners (two springs per sash). Although the windows themselves aren't particularly energy-efficient or attractive, they're in decent shape, aside from the fact that most of them won't stay open unless they've propped up. I would really love to make these windows work better because they're a major annoyance in their current condition.

I had to have one of the windows taken apart because the glass was cracked, so I had a chance to look at the springs. It appears that the problem was caused because the plastic clips at the end of the springs were broken off. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix them, if I can find the parts.

So, my questions are:

1) Are these parts (clips, springs, and liners) still available, and if so, where can I buy them? I tried searching, but I couldn't find anything that looked similar.

2) Is it possible to fish the end of the spring out and attach a new clip, so the whole window wouldn't have to be dismantled? What kind of tool could I use? The part that would be inserted would have to be at least 7" long because the existing springs are about 19.5" long and the sashes are 26" high.

3) If I can't find replacement clips ( or springs with clips), can anyone suggest a way to jerry-rig the springs so they'll stay attached?

4) Is there some better (but inexpensive) way to repair these windows so they won't keep breaking? I don't know how long these windows lasted before they broke, but I doubt it took very long. There may be a reason why this spring system appears to be obsolete.

Thanks!.

P.S. I can post pictures if necessary.

Comments (4)