Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can't shut off the faucet

Posted by sycamore_guy (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 20:04

When we moved into our house there was a tub that was not being used. The pipes to it had been cut, I thought because part of the run was lead pipe. I finally got around to connecting it again with new copper. Once it was all connected I turned the water back on and heard water running. No matter how I turned the faucet handles the water continued to run (both hot and cold). They are compression types so I disassembled and put a new washer on the end of each valve stem. No change or at best a slight slowing. What am I missing? The body of the faucet seems intact (no cracks). The handles say they are Kohler but there are no other clues to model or manufacturer. The house is over 100 years old, but the faucet looks to me to not be that old, more in the 40 to 50 year old range. I'd rather not replace it with some cheesy new one. IDEAS?
Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can't shut off the faucet

When you say running, how much water is running?

Drips, a small stream, or LOTS?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here