Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bronze weatherstripping on sash bottom?

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 19:25

Has anyone ever used bronze weatherstripping on the bottom of a lower sash? And if not that, what else can I use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bronze weatherstripping on sash bottom?

On the sill, yes, the sash itself, no.
You can use the interlocking kind, but the sash has to be grooved out, or the spring kind, faster to install but not as tight as the interlocking.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Interlocking window weatherstripping

o

To save some cash, order in zinc...my house has it on all windows (original); in fixing some cords, I early on removed some, now have to replace it. :( Mine it turns out, was held in by tiny screws, with strips of roofing felt under it.

o

I nailed bronze weather stripping to the bottom of the lower sash rather than the sill. My sills have settled slightly & I was afraid nailing to the sill would trap water under the bronze & the nail holes would give an entry point for the moisture. It may be six of one & half dozen of another!

It definately cut down on the drafts although I'm sure it's not as good as the interlocking weatherstripping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here