Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stripping resin moldings

Posted by westminster (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 18:29

Were trying to strip many years of paint off of some wall moldings to reveal the floral details before repainting. We had assumed the moldings were plaster, but after stripping a test patch with Soy Gel, they actually appear to be some sort of resin molds applied to wood strips. The problem is that the second application of Soy Gel began to dissolve the resin details. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for stripping the paint without destroying the resin? Weve been using Citristrip on our window moldings, but were concerned that the neutralization process might be too harsh. Well probably give Peel-Away a shot, but any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stripping resin moldings

It occurs to me that if the moldings are resin, they could be fairly recent, and certainly not original to the house or even particularly 'special'. So if you're in love with them regardless, then hopefully someone else will help, but if you're not actually that crazy about them, maybe they could just be removed and replaced with new ones.

o

Ive wondered about that myself, but I talked to a plaster guy and he said that a lot of older moldings were actually made from resin and wood rather than plaster. Plus, judging from the many coats of paint, Im assuming that theyre pretty old. That said, they very well may not be original to the house (i.e. 1906) and could date to some renovations that were done in the forties. Id love to try and work with whats already there, but if you have any suggestions for reasonably priced replacement moldings, Id be happy to hear them. Thanks!

o

Check out oldhouseweb. I'm betting someone there will have a answer for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here