Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donk4kyv

Doing one's own custom millwork

AMRadiohead3885
10 years ago

The decorative trim in my house circa 1850-70 uses decorative millwork around the windows and doors, nailed onto the main trim which is 1" thick flat boards.

One doorway was added in the 1940s, with just flat boards without the millwork, which I would like to add to make it match the rest of the trim in the house. I took a sample to a shop that does custom millwork, and turns out they would charge to make a special knife, plus a $500 minimum order.

Since the decorative trim I need is all straight-line cut, I didn't think it would be that hard to make, and would only need something like a special router blade. The trim is not close to any of the standard stock profile available, so I am wondering about the feasibility of fabricating my own cutting tool and making the trim myself.

I know relatively little about that kind of wood work, but certainly a small cutting tool with a special blade would cost a lot less than what these people are asking. Any ideas where I might get some information? A google search turned up hundreds of useless sites.

Don

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz