Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmatlosz

WHat style House is this? What would you do?

dmatlosz
10 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first post and would like to get some input on the house we purchased.

I date the house to 1903ish but I'm not certain. The house has red cedar under the vinyl siding and the windows were replaced with vinyl by the PO.

Couple of questions for everyone?

1) What style do you think the house is?
2) What kind of window style and brand do you suggest (best bang for the buck)?
3) What style can I go with to compliment the house? We will be doing an exterior overhaul next year and would love to get ideas on the porch(column/banister style) and color scheme for the new cedar shakes (white cedar).

Note: the front door is on the right of the house that leads into the foyer and the left side has french doors leading into the formal dining room. We are thinking about doing adding a little vestibule under the porch so we can have a space for coats and we plan to move the stairs to the right side instead of the middle as the mail man doesn't know which is the front door.

This post was edited by TeamLDH on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 16:26

Comments (15)

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another photo

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one more

• mxyplx
    10 years ago

Might hold off or think carefully about moving the steps for a door challenged mailman.

I read recently, I think just a few days ago, the USPO is going to eliminate mail delivery to the house within the next couple years.
    ======================

House panel passes bill to cut back mail delivery : Reuters
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/25/us-usa-postal-bill-idUSBRE96O17M20130725

• calliope
    10 years ago

It would be a lot more simple if one placed a mailbox by the main door, and a welcome mat under it, than moving the stairs. ;-). IOW make it look like a front door. Many old victorians here had numerous doors leading off a large porch, so this is not unusual. Also, one tends to have the same mail delivery person most days. They pick up pretty quickly what door you use, and a heckofa lot more information than you think. It was my first real job many years ago. If you move the steps, then you must move the large shrub and the sidewalk. You also don't know what is behind those steps and if you move them, might have to do a complete reface of the foundation in front of them. It may also make the symmetry of the house look off. Ditto about the mail delivery.....you don't know how long that's going to last. If you just really want to move the steps for your own personal choice, well that's another issue and your call.

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

My house has only one door, and my steps lead right to it, but for convenience, I put my mailbox on the half-column at the top of the steps so the carrier can put mail into it by staying on the steps rather than walk up onto the porch.

I think the house is a bungalow, and I'd redo the step railing to match the rest of the balustrade. By the way, I have doubts that the columns are original...they should be bulkier and probably tapering.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, the columns nor the balusters are original. I just need some ideas as to what style of columns and balusters will match the house style.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

I would call the house a bungalow also.

Check in your public library. There are lots of books with pictures of bungalows that will give you ideas of what might be period correct. I like Jane Powell's books best for restoration suggestions.

Moving the steps seems like a really bad idea to me. If you want to improve access, why not put your mailbox on a post at sidewalk level? Not only would it be cheaper, but you would not be ruining the integrity of the house. There are some very good looking period style mailboxes available if you want to carry the theme.

As for the windows, personally I would keep the present windows, maybe get storm windows if heating is an issue. They can be restored if needed. Original windows plus storm windows are at least as good as dual pane windows. Despite what salespeople tell you, replacement windows are never as good. If you must replace them, please do not get vinyl windows. In my opinion, they are an abomination. I cringe when I see them. I don't even like them on modern houses, much like a lovely old treasure like yours.

Rosefolly

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

Here is a link for proper Craftsman Style features...there are trends which are quite common such as tapered columns, but bear in mind that the sizes of the columns are still pretty much in scale with the rest of the house. :)

In my college years the town (Granville, OH) had many houses dated from 1815-1930, and some of my friends lived in a bungalow which looked very much like yours. Others lived in proper Victorian houses. One of my sisters rented a mid-1800s Italianate with two bay windows and a ballroom addition...the cellar joists were peeled half-trunks of trees from the time the area was first settled around 1825.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman Style

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Before I did anything I would investigate the roof ridge beam as to why there appears to be a sag in the middle. I hope it's just an illusion.

The house would be considered a story and a half here, the dormers may have been added well after the home was built.

• dmatlosz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Sag in the roof is an optical illusion. I have had it checked out and it's structurally sound.

As stated in the first post, all the windows were replaced with vinyl by the previous owner and now I am looking to replace the vinyl with a better product that compliments the house (would like suggestions on reasonably priced brand/model of window and style of window that would look good on the house).

As far as the steps, they are NOT original to the house. Questions is, what would look better, stairs to the right that lead to the front door or keep it center.

Thanks,
    Dan

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

If it would be relatively minor to -move the steps, doing so would give you more "living room" on the porch, as well as a more obvious entrance.

However, adding a vestibule would throw off the look of your home. And is there enough depth on the porch for both a vestibule and a comfortable landing?

• old_house_j_i_m
    10 years ago

much like the homes from my old hood. No specific suggestions, but keep the new details kind of simple for best effect. this isnt a "fancy" house, so too much carved stuff or oversized or fancy will look out of place. I would put in wooden steps (thats probably what it had) and wooden windows are always best ...

• maryinthefalls
    10 years ago

Before I committed to moving the stairs, I'd do something about the bushes eating your house. Once they've been severely pruned back, you could see the house better and an answer might be clearer. As much as I like my vestibule, I'm not seeing one added to your bungalow porch. I vote for keeping the stairs in the middle.

I like your banisters on the porch, but would be concerned about them with kids. That style is easily climbed on and through and has pinch points. Just my $.02

Is this the house you put that beautiful kitchen in?

This post was edited by maryinthefalls on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 9:09

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

The house is so symmetrical that I think moving the stairs would be a mistake.

Regardless what you decide about the stairs, I would remove the huge shrub on the right. As it is currently, you're "welcoming" people to a blank wall at the top of the steps. It's not only confusing, it's just plain not welcoming.

Painting the front door a different color than the siding or trim will also attract attention there and help minimize the confusion about which door is more important. If keeping the existing color scheme, I would paint the front door the same gold as the trim around the upstairs windows.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

I don't know who told you a sagging roof ridge beam is structurally sound. If it was a structural engineer I would get a second opinion.

I think you may be related to my wife.