Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you clean your scraping tools?

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 16:11

I have been using a collection of putty knives and scraping tools to remove paint from the exterior of my house along with a heat gun. How do you clean these tools to remove the buildup of paint that is probably a mix of latex and oil based paint? I can knock off the big chunks, but can't get down to clean metal again. Is there a good Dremel attachment to use? I don't have a grinder. Will soaking them in mineral spirits damage the metal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you clean your scraping tools?

Mineral spirits will not damage the metal, but may not work very well.

It can weaken plastic handles.

Many of the paint hardening reactions are very 'one way' and the resulting film is no longer really soluble.

It can be broken down chemically, but not really 'dissolved.'

I usually heat the scrapers up with a heat gun and then use folded paper towels to wipe off the softened material before the tool cools again.

o

I just sand em with 60 grit

o

I use an infrared unit and EZ Way for the last bit of stripping, so I have the EZ Way around... and the EZ Way is good for cleaning tools. Unlike strippers that need clean-up with water or a solvent, EZ Way IS a solvent, more or less.

Karin L

o

I just use one tool to scrape another; I'm always using a putty knife, paint scraper, chisels, screwdrivers, etc. when heat-gunning, an they all need frequent de-gunking esp. where latex is involved. And every so often, yes, coarse sandpaper.
Casey

o

"I just sand em with 60 grit"

Make sure you oil any now bare steel to prevent rust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here