Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mazelady_gw

Foam Insulation in a FROG (finished room over garage)

mazelady
10 years ago

I had my 650 sq. ft bonus room over my detached garage remodeled and used spray foam insulation and all double pane windows. This room has a 15,000 btu window air condition unit, a 30 gallon water heater and a new Frigidaire 10 cu. ft refrigerator. I live in Texas any my electric bill is about $150-$200 dollars higher than normal each month.

My foam insulation contractor said my monthly bill should only be about $50 higher because of the foam insulation and I was counting on that.

I'm trying to determine if that is normal and if not, what is causing the higher than expected bill.

I do know that the foam insulation for the garage ceiling was only 3 inches thick or an R11 according to the contractor. He said that was the city code requirement. Shouldn't this be higher since heat rises from the garage into the bonus room and that this is in Texas?

I also thought perhaps vents were installed incorrectly since this was the contractor's first job that used spray foam insulation. Do I need to check on how the can lights or bathroom vent or roof vents were done to see if that is the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MM

Comments (3)