Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what can I use for table legs?

Posted by blackcats13 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 15:41

I was recently thinking I would like a table in my basement to work on, or fold clothes on. A week later - there was one in the alley! It's pretty perfect for what I need except the legs aren't tall enough. It's probably about dining table height, and I want something I can work at standing. I unbolted the legs to get it in the basement, so I can easily take one with me to HD or whatever, but what could I get to replace it? Looks don't really matter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what can I use for table legs?

Two garbage cans? I'm sure HD will have longer legs in stock BUT they will cost you dearly.
Maybe sawhorses would work? A set of cabinets then you'd have storage too.

o

What are the existing legs like? If they are straight, you could just go buy some lengths of thick-walled plastic pipe like the white stuff for irrigation systems, or grey electrical conduit, or the black sewer line pipes. Pick the one that has an internal diameter just big enough to fit over the existing legs. Then buy enough for four lengths that are the height you want, slip them over the existing legs, and you have a sturdy, clean, and cheap way to elevate the table.

o

You can guy turned spindles at any hardware store, used in stairways, and all different lengths. They're decorative too, and should mount as easily as a table leg.

o

Also, Ikea has a lot of cheap legs. I got some adjustable height ones that I installed on the bottom of a butcher block island to have it at a 36" height. Just depends on how much work and expense you want to go to.

o

Another vote for Ikea. They have quite a selection.

o

And you can order through the mail if you don't have Ikea near you.

o

Or Adams Wood products, or any number of other vendors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adams Wood Products

o

I knew you guys would come through!! I will explore all these and pick the one best suited. Thanks!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here