Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water coming in at base of house in garage...

Posted by kacii (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 15:37

Every time it rains heavily, we get some water seepage into the garage along the bottom of one wall. We don't have gutters along that wall. Would adding gutters fix it or do we need to dig down, expose the wall and seal it? Thanks, Kaci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water coming in at base of house in garage...

PROPERLY installed gutters would probably be a big help especially if the downspout is pointed away from the garage.
It's really hard to say without seeing pic. what your situation is BUT given that there are no gutters that is where I'd start.

o
RE: Water coming in at base of house in garage...

I agree with Carol, guttering is where I would start,too. The only caveat would be if the ground immediately outside where the leak is slopes directly uphill from the building. In that case changing the surface drainage might be a better quick fix.

Assuming it's level or sloping away, then go for gutters. You may need gutters not only on the garage eaves, but also gutters on adjacent structure(s) if they are dumping water down on the ground by the garage's seeping wall.

Sealing from the outside is another task, but sometimes you can get away with just installing some more effective subsurface drains, i.e. french drains, which are not usually too complicated to create, providing you have a suitable outlet for them.

HTH,

Molly~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here