Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is the style of this funny, cute house?

Posted by kristin_c (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 15:28

It's not my house ... just an unusual style for the area. Am I right in thinking "Tudor-meets-Art-Deco"? The dining room built-ins look very Craftsman to me, but there is all the twee leaded glass in the living room built-ins, and the stained glass. No interior exposed beams to speak of.

http://www.redfin.com/WA/Tacoma/531-S-55th-St-98408/home/2827589#main

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is the style of this funny, cute house?

I think it's '10s-'20s Tudor Revival. It has some elements in common with Art Deco, but mostly because of the time it was built. It's a real pity the windows on the front were replaced during the picture-window craze of the mid-century. A cute house, even so!

o

The optional link URL box appears when you preview your message and putting the url in it allows more people to see it.

o

Link to photo

Here is a link that might be useful: link to photo

o

The use of a jerkinhead (clipped/ hipped/ truncated/ Dutch/ German) front facing gable is a rare variant of the the American Tudor style which was based primarily on late Medieval English manor houses and cottages and prominently featured steep full-faced gables. This Continental variant was sometimes called a "Germanic Cottage". It is essentially an American Tudor house without it's most characteristic and charming feature.

Cute? To me the style is heavy handed to the point of looking sinister but how could they have anticipated the Master of the Dark Side? I would skip this house on Halloween.

o

Oooh, "jerkinhead". See, that's the kind of word I never would have discovered without this forum. Thanks, I love it :)

o

LOL Renovator! It is indeed a Darth Vader house, but I rather dig it just for that alone. The layout and preservation of the kitchen & built-in elements is charming.

My 1910 Shingle Craftsman also has the jerkinhead roof, albeit on the sides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here