Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MOLD! Should I be concerned?

Posted by firsthome (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 15:24

We purchased a 30 year old home a year and a half ago. During our inspections it was discovered the house had mold in the attic. We were told it was because the insulation what covering the eaves not allowing the air to circulate. They tested the mold and found it to be non-toxic (thank god) and had it remediated and pulled the insulation away to let air breathe in the attic and told us we should be fine.

Well this year my husband went to do some work in the finished basement (it's a 70's basement...so faux wood paneling over drywall). He pulled away a wood panel and found mold on the drywall. The basement, although dry (no flooding or wet walls) feels damp. We could run the dehumidifier non-stop and empty a bucket of water at least every other day. Funny because when we purchased the house the inspector said the basement was nice and dry and it did feel dry down there. I guess they must have been running two de-humidifiers or something because it hasn't felt that way since. My husband says it is because we live in the woods an there is just a lot of moisture/dampness in the air...not much we can do.

Then we went to start some renovations in our kitchen. We were taking out the old formica countertops and tile backsplash. When my husband was pulling off all the old tile backsplash & drywall it was attached to, he noticed mold on the inside of the drywall in our kitchen.

Now I am concerned. Do we have mold all over our house? Should we be doing something about this? Should we be taking down all of our drywall in the house and re-doing with green backerboard? Is this something we should just let be? Is this common? My husband didn't seem to be too concerned. His comment was just, "that's what happens when you use paper".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MOLD! Should I be concerned?

You could put dehumidifier on timer and run hose so you wouldnt have to empty.Thats what we do.

o

are all your mold findings from one particular side of the house? you might want to look at the foundation/rain flow, etc. if it is.

i'm surprised a piece of panelling wasn't pulled away from the wall during inspection. might sound a little extreme, but panelling always seems to be hiding something.

best of luck to you.
maryanne

o

Anyone in that situation should be alarmed. Mold is nothing to be trifled with, and if mold is found to be hiding in various parts of the house, it is best to hire a mold removal company to try to remove them. Mold is hazardous to health and can be transmitted through air, causing all sorts of respiratory problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.canadarestorationservices.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here