Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzan30

Weathered door

suzan30
14 years ago

I live in condo in a 100+ year old "six flat" building in Chicago. Our outer door is showing a lot of wear and a piece of what look to be veneer has broken off. Everyone in the building would like to revive our old door, but we are unsure what kind of tradesperson would handle this and what can be done. Does anyone have any advice?? Thanks in advance

Comments (7)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Painted is easy to fix, clear finishes are harder.

A decent painter should be able to repair either.

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

Where is the veneer coming off? If it's along the bottom you might install a brass kick plate (a plate about six inches high across the bottom of the door). Paint the door first to seal it as much as possible. If the problem is elsewhere, could you post a picture?

• suzan30
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The door is not painted, there is a finish. The veneer is off the bottom so maybe the kick plate is the answer. Is there anyway to revive the weather-beaten finish?

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

Are you looking to refinish (strip, sand, stain, varnish) or repaint? I've only done repainting which is pretty straight forward. Perhaps someone else here can advise on refinishing in place.

• gardurnit
    14 years ago

I'm guessing the veneer if it's lasted this long is not wood. From the 1900's the only thing it could be is
    bakelite or phenolic. It was the first plastic.

I have not done any research on reviving it. I do know
    from my background as a scientist that phenolic is a very
    resiliant and hard to damage or deteriorate material. So
    bringing back it's finish might not be impossible because
    it's the same through and through.

However I've never heard of reviving phenolic veneer.
    There is undoubtedly a 'phenolic association of america'
    or something similar .

Big companies like
    Dupont / Occidental / Sumitomo all make bakelite products still. If you get in the door you'll be tossed
    out unless you represent yourself as a commercial account. What you'll want is to find a commercial , large city (Los Angeles or NY) supplier who has access to people
    who know people who can put you in touch with the right
    methods.

Or you could do what I would do. Research it online using
    the keywords of

bakelite veneer
    phenolic veneer

Last note: I could be totally wrong as to what the material
    is made of. If you have some to test you can try putting
    a flame to it. If it does not burn but smokes a bit with a
    slightly sweet smell it's probably phenolic. It would also
    snap like cheap plastic if you bent it.

I'll put you in my 'look in on this thread' file.

Good luck.

Andre

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Suzan,
    It might be easier to find a solution to your problem if we could see a closeup photo of the damage on the door.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

It is very possible that a century-old entry door to a significant structure could be veneer. I am familiar with a mansion that has a very large and thick front door with 1/8" thick quartersawn oak veneers on both the inside and outside, over a white pine substrate. The door was installed during an 1886 remodeling. Of course, the door has survived in beautiful shape because it is under a protective porch, faces north, and has been cared for.
    Casey