Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown granite counters & Swiss Coffee cabinets?

Posted by karin_sj (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 14:05

We're having new cabinet doors installed in our 1930s kitchen. Our existing trim (everywhere in the house) is KM Swiss coffee and we were going to have the cabinets painted that color too. Will that look OK with the existing warm brown granite countertops (I think they're Crema Bordeaux) or should I go with a creamier, less white color? The floors are dark brown wood and we have stainless steel appliances (the valance is gone).

I want to try and keep some of the charm of a vintage kitchen. We were thinking of oiled bronze cup handles and round knobs for the cabinet hardware. We're going to paint the walls a warm tan color.

Our painter said that he's seen kitchens where the cabinets are a little darker than the trim and it looks OK.

I'm having major doubts, and there's still time to pick another cabinet color but I have no idea what color. Please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown granite counters & Swiss Coffee cabinets?

The kitchen in my 1930 house is similar to yours, wood floor, similar layout with window, sink, cabinet position, and I also have KM Swiss Coffee on all of my trim! I painted my cabinets a creamier white than the trim and I love it. However, my kitchen is quite dark, and in my personal opinion a brighter white needs more light to look good. I don't think you would go wrong with the Swiss Coffee on the cabinets, but a creamy white would be more cohesive with your countertops. It looks like what you have now is a creamy white? If you're replacing the cabinet fronts anyway why not use them for testing and paint a couple with Swiss Coffee to see how it looks?
Also, do you have under cabinet lights? I installed them a few years ago and don't know how I ever lived without!

o
RE: Brown granite counters & Swiss Coffee cabinets?

An archived thread on the kitchen forum suggests using antique white with Swiss cream. Why are you replacing the doors? Are they original? They look like they are in great shape. They also look tall; replacing them could be very $$.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here