Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booboo60

Can you "see" adding on to this little gem?

booboo60
10 years ago

Hi,

This little house (1120 sq.ft.) sits on about an acre of real pretty property. It was built in 1932 and is 2 BR, 1 Bath. If Dh and I could get it and add on about 300 - 400 sq.ft. ( another bath and BR, redo kitchen, etc.) do you think it would be feasible? Where would you add on? Anyone have ideas how it would look? Thanks for looking!
Not sure we want to take on such a big project but it may not be that "bad", lol!

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/42714-SE-100th-St-North-Bend-WA-98045/48666964_zpid/

Comments (12)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Can you post a floor plan.

That view is superb

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Direct link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Property

• booboo60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lazygardens,

I wish I could post floor plans, all I have is this website with the pics of the interior. I just have this romantic idea that we could add on to it and still make it look like it hasn't been added on to? You know how some remodels on houses really look like they have? It is very pretty property, thanks for looking!

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

Of course, your first statement tells me you should skip this house. 'Re-do' the kitchen...I'm sure you mean to gut it of it's original charm and put in magazine finishes and faddish features which the house has managed to avoid for eigthy years. Buy something of the right size and with less fixing...leave this beauty to someone who likes it as it is.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

It's an adorable house and if you can post a floor plan, I'm sure you'll get some ideas. From what I can see, you have a living room somewhat open to the kitchen (half wall taken down) and two bedrooms and a bath. Do you have a laundry area or utility room upstairs...or maybe in a cellar/basement? Do you want that on the main floor, too?

Here are a few photos...again a very charming home :) {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans
    {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans
    {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans

• booboo60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

columbusguy1,

Ouch! When I said "redo" I didn't mean to "destroy" it's charm, I would just make it more user friendly! I am sure even in 1932 people liked to have a user friendly kitchen. That's why I came to this forum to see if anyone could "see" some kind of remodel that would stay true to the craftsman style of the era. I don't have any floor plans so I will just ask an agent to show me the place.

• booboo60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lavendar_lass,

I think there is a laundry room at the back of the house. I was thinking it could be added on to out the back or the side, however, my SIL who lives nearby drove by to see it and she says the lot is quite narrow. Probably have to add on out the back, dunno, sounds like a little more than we want to take on.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Can you come up with a floorplan that adds the kind of space you need to the existing while getting the new roof to tie in acceptably (from the structural and the aesthetic sides)? and we can't answer that authoritatively. Are the ceilings even 8ft high? It does appear to sit right on grade as it is, and a new addition can't easily be done below grade and keep the wood-sided appearance. You probably don't want a step-up into the addition, and a higher eave-line, but code will tell you that there must be a 12" vertical gap between grade and wood siding.
    Casey

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Do you have enough space that you could build an addition that was another cottage-like structure tethered to the house through a small hallway or vestibule?

• booboo60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked our agent to check out this property. She talked to the listing agent and the house has foundation issues so I think it is basically a "tear down". Thank you for all the interest!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

That's a shame! So many cute homes have issues like that...but you might want to see what the issues are and whether it's something that can be repaired. If you're thinking about remodeling anyway...it may or may not be something that is easily repaired. Best of luck with the home search :)

• kai615
    10 years ago

I agree with lavender_lass. A lot of realtors are not looking for the renovating the past they are looking for tearing down and building new cheap crap with lots of square footage.

For the record, I also agree with you when it comes to updating and making the kitchen user friendly. Don't ever feel bad about wanting to make a kitchen in an old home a happy place to cook. I stopped coming to this forum for a while because there were too many "keep it period" people. My house is 300 years old and period would mean cooking over an open fire. I try to keep the charm, stay with a notalgic feel, but I made sure my modern everything was well within reach (an not hidden). I am sure my grand mother and great grand mother would have brought in the newest everything when it was available. Heck someone went and put running water in my house at some point (thank goodness for modernization, my mother in law actually grew up with an out house here until she was 16).

If you are looking for an old house, please investigate the renovation issues yourself before giving up on a place. Good luck you on your search.