Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schneemaid

1950's Pink Bathroom

schneemaid
11 years ago

My 1950's house has a pink bathroom, still in pretty good condition. We would like to renovate it someday, and I can't decide if I should keep parts of it or redo it completely.

What would you do? Do you think keeping it pink would affect resale value?

(We have taken down the wallpaper and painted the walls white since this picture was taken.)

Comments (26)

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    11 years ago

Save it. There are people absolutely nuts about that time period. IF you would take it out, save your tile for resale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Save the Pink Bathrooms

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I agree - save it. It looks to be in great condition!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

OMG..that is the sweetest bathroom I have ever seen. I would do it with black and pink and an elegant "painted lady " look. Or flamingoes !! If you google "pink bathrooms" and "pink retro bathrooms" you will find a wealth of ideas. You will be the envy of everyone that enters. The floor alone is priceless let alone the fixtures. c

• schneemaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up of the floor tile. I would never change it out!

• schneemaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the rose pattern in the tile on the wall.

• schneemaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the view from the toilet end of the room.

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

I am not fond of 50s styles, having grown up with them, but with a bath in such good shape, you would probably drive off some buyers since that style is now all the rage! All those shows on tv which say to rip it out, are trying to appeal to the common buyer, who wants a house which looks just like everyone else's--I would never even think of living in such a place! People are paying a LOT of money to recreate what you already have!

If you like old houses, you should do your best to keep them as they are, rather than make them into modern sterile boxes. Use furniture and art to give a place your stamp, leaving the hard elements intact.

Yes, we had a v-shaped sectional sofa, amoeba-ish endtables and columnar lamps sitting on tripod bases...and a sunburst clock and a pole lamp with three cone-shaped lights--our kitchen had pink appliances, but our bath I think had white fixtures and tile. Now, my turn of the century house is full of period furniture and decor--which suits my personal style to a 't'.

• mic111
    11 years ago

Keeping it pink will likely give you a higher resale value! I know someone who just sold a vintage 1970s house. Nothing improved since the 70s. Sold in days with multiple offers above asking price. Other homes in the same neighborhood with updated baths and kitchens are sitting there still for sale.

• jmc01
    11 years ago

I love it and am also in agreement that keeping it as is will increase your home's value! you are so lucky to have that room!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

thanks for the pics ! That is just the sweetest bathroom ! What fun and what does the rest of the house/other baths look like ?? :) Now I want a complete walk through. c

• schneemaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a glimpse into the 1/2 master. Sadly, the sink/vanity was replaced at some point.

• schneemaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dining room, with built in hutch. We replaced the light fixture. Kitchen is through the doorway on the right. The oak hardwood floor is everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms.

• schneemaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Office, with dark paneling. There is a cork floor under the carpet. The door leads to the garage.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

LOVE the rose pattern in the backsplash! One thing I would do is change the cabinet pulls to crystal -- something resembling the faucet handle. Since you've painted the walls white, MAYBE painting the cabinet one of the grays in the floor would look good. But maybe not -- I'd photoshop that first.

It looks like there are several doors -- I'm guessing linen closet(s)? Might be nice to remove the closet doors, and replace just the bottom with double doors. Leaving the top portion open to hold towels, and decorative items might visually widen what it is a fairly narrow room.

I've no idea whether they're available, but a pink toilet seat would look great too. Lastly, what would really pull it all together would be a custom border on your gray shower curtain -- even just plain white. The other shower curtain that I could see would be a white waffle fabric, since the little squares would relate to the little squares in the floor tile.

Fabulous bath -- I hope you post more of your work!

• schneemaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I think a white shower curtain would look good, and brighten the inside. What you can't see is the pink tub/shower surrounded by more pink tile!

Yes, there is a linen closet, and two entry doors. One goes to the kitchen, and one goes to the hallway, near the bedrooms.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

Would it make sense to eliminate the door to the kitchen? If so, you would gain space for a recessed medicine cabinet, or shelving, or full length mirror.

• schneemaid
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, there is an outside door in the kitchen that leads to the back yard and we have little kids so we like easy access to the bathroom. There is no shortage of storage space in the bathroom! This is the linen closet and a bit of the shower/tub. (It is much more organized now!)

• pianolady007
    11 years ago

As a person not into pink, I must say I like the bathroom. It's the floor that makes it work for me. The pink toilets would probably go away if I owned the house, lol. If you like it, by all means keep it!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Love the dining room ! When the kids get bigger and no longer spill you can get a pretty Oriental rug :)

I am linking the toilet seats....would look so nice. I have lived in several houses that had great storage like that in the bathrooms.

Thanks for the peak into your home. c

Here is a link that might be useful: toilet seats in retro colors

• Fori
    11 years ago

Yup. I'd change the toilet seat.

• Debbie Downer
    11 years ago

Resale-schmesale.

It's perfect the way it is. Or perhaps darken the walls to go with the dark shade in the tile floor. Pink in combination with white can be sugary and feminine, but in combination with a rich beige, greige, or chocolate brown is a classic vintage combination. There is no such thing as a "bad" color, only bad color combinations....

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

sorry..peek :)

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

That is the prettiest pink bathroom that I have ever seen! Lucky you.
    Diane

• anninthedistrict
    11 years ago

I'd say keep it. I am not crazy about the rosebuds but love the rest.
    I think that when reselling I'd keep in mind that some buyers might like the bath which is in great condition and some might want a credit towards renovation.
    I wouldn't mess with the rosebuds even though they aren't my favorite because overall it is gorgeous. Pick an accent that you like while you live there...black seems natural to me.
    I would much prefer it to the remodeled baths from the 70's and 80's in my 50's house.
    What do you really love? You are living there....so you have to balance both. But I would trade my white, 70's baths for that one any day.

• anninthedistrict
    11 years ago

You could consider having tub/shower reporcelained but if it is in good shape I'd stick with it.

• drybean
    11 years ago

I love it. Houses with bathrooms like this command a premium in my area.

I would switch to a white waffle shower curtain- target has a great one for about $20.