Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do my old walls 'remember' the leaks?

Posted by acc0406 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 13:10

My house was built in 1935. Most of the walls and ceilings are a plaster board coated with two coats of plaster, kind of a precursor to drywall.

About 8 years ago, we had a leak in our upstairs bathroom that damaged the kitchen ceiling below. Later, we remodeled the bathroom and haven't had any obvious leaks since. About 3 years ago we remodeled the kitchen and had the ceiling damage repaired so that it looked like new.

Recently, I've noticed the plaster in the same area starting to bubble and crack. I opened the access panel to the tub and didn't see any obvious signs of water. Am I missing the leak? What else could be causing damage in the same area? Because, I'm having the same issue in a bedroom wall behind the chimney, where we had water coming in years ago and finally had it repaired recently, I'm beginning to wonder if it has to do with the wall board rather than an ongoing leak.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do my old walls 'remember' the leaks?

"Recently, I've noticed the plaster in the same area starting to bubble and crack. I opened the access panel to the tub and didn't see any obvious signs of water. Am I missing the leak?

Check tun caulking and the overflow gasket.

These are two common placers for leaks in tubs.

New water is damaging the plaster.

Once of the first uses of gypsum boards (similar to drywall) was in 16 inch x 48 inch panels that replaced wood lathe for 2 coat plaster work.
Wood lath took three coats to finish a wall, gypsum lathe replaced the wood and the first coat of plaster.

o
RE: Do my old walls 'remember' the leaks?

I'm thinking perhaps the repair materials were not up to the task, or the substrate had not been properly dealt with and made ready to take the patching compound.
The water-damaged stuff needed to be scraped away to a solid base, and then sealed with bonding agent (Link, or Plasterweld) to be sure it was sound. You can't patch plaster onto a friable substrate.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here