Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint peeling on bottom of house

Posted by penybryn (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 13:01

I have repainted the bottom of our house in front a couple of times but it keeps peeling off after the winter. Is there a product I can put on first to make it adhere? Now the masonry seems powdery too so of course paint won't stick. It looks terrible! Here's a couple of pictures that I took. I've been using Behr Exterior paint and scraped it good with a wire brush first and powerwashed.

[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/thejudges/paintchip2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e192/thejudges/paintchip3.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: bottom of house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint peeling on bottom of house

Looks to me like you have a moisture problem on the wall, till it's corrected paint won't adhere. It looks from the pic that the wall is being a wick and is soaking up the water from the ground. I'm not sure how to solve your problem.

o

Looks like water wicking up into the foundation, and then forcing the paint off when the temperature warms up and vaporizes it and it cannot escape.

o

I took my pictures to a friend who specializes in concrete. Following his advice, I scraped off all the paint, wire brushed the hard stuff, powerwashed the whole front. Let it dry overnight. Used Drylok Etch to get rid of the efflorescence. Washed it down. Let that dry overnight. Painted the whole thing with Drylok waterproofer. Let that dry 24 hours. Repainted the whole thing with Behr exterior paint. I even landscaped the little bit in front, with just a tiny bit of mulch and a couple of hostas. We'll see how it holds up this winter, but it sure looks a lot better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here