Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window sash - what not to paint; what not to fill

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 12:49

I scraped paint off the underside of the bottom rail of the bottom sash - the part that meets the sill. I'm now ready to start filling holes and have two questions:

1) I'm thinking the bottom of the bottom rail should not have any paint on it. Is that correct?

2) There are two holes in the bottom rail where it meets the stiles (sides). Should I fill those holes (and with what - caulk or WoodEpox) or leave them as a moisture escape?

Thank you all for your patience and continuing help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window sash - what not to paint; what not to fill

No, it needs paint. It will always get wet in the rain, unless you have storm windows closed, and if water soaks in to the end grain, the paint above will peel. It has to be dry, then sand to bare wood and soak in a mixture of boiled linseed oil and turpentine to fill all the wood's porosity. When this mixture dries, prime with oil primer.
As for finish coats, I use only oil enamel on the sash, because it lets them move freely and never sticks. It seems whenever I try any kind of waterborne paint, I end up with sticking sash. I always paint sash while they are out, both sides, and let the paint cure; I get by with the storm windows in the meantime, but it is the only way to fully paint the surfaces without painting anything shut.
You can leave that milling hole on the bottom; it's actually a good thing, as it lets water drain out of the bottom corner joints.(not that there should be an water there, but caulking it full plugs the drain)
Casey

o

Thanks Casey! Your explanation for painting the sash bottom makes sense. Yet, they were not painted way-back-when.

Can you buy boiled linseed oil and turpentine already mixed?

By the way, Casey, thanks for the advice on tools. My window zipper is on its way to me.

o

Hi guys ~ I have been working on the same type of project. Casey, when I had my bottom sash out I could see that the very bottom edge, as graywings described - the area that meets the sill - is/was not painted. And it looks like none of our bottom sash edges are? Should I be painting them, it does not look like they ever were... and the wood is all in amazing shape (1904 home). Is it OK to not fix what isn't broken, so to speak? Thanks for any advice!

mrsrichard (aka "Fanner")

o

Fanner, see what jade mortimer says (OHW) and I think she'd agree w/me. It gets wet every time there is a driving rain from the particular side. And wetness there is bad. I have seen paint weathered off the bottom of the sash so thoroughly that it would look never-painted.
The only part of a sash never painted originally would be the side edges. The top of the top sash usually got primer. The inside surfaces got decorated according to the scheme, paint of varnish.
So, yeah.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here