Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bowling alley floors

Posted by suwannee75 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 12:42

We just pulled up the tile in our 1917 arts and crafts home, in the kitchen. There are beautiful maple floors.....in half the kitchen. The other half apparently was a porch and has painted gray boards.

I want to replace the porch side flooring with the same maple- it is 2 inches wide, apparently an abnormal size (just like a bowling alley). I have already done a net search and called our local specialty store with no luck.

Any suggestions on where to look to find 2 inch maple flooring? Will we have to have it custom milled? Eek, did not expect this when we pulled up the tile!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bowling alley floors

My son has had custom mill work done, and I don't know how that compared to pre-finished but it didn't sound all that out of line. My suggestion is to pull up the good flooring in that half kitchen and salvage it for a smaller floor somewhere else down the line, and completely replace the kitchen flooring with new wood. No problems with matches, mill-work, and refinishing. Quick and easy and you can call out any finish you want.

o

Just "googling" around, it looks like narrow strip maple hardwood flooring is pretty readily available in 2 1/4" widths. I know that's 1/4 inch wider than what you have, but I do wonder how noticeable it would be?

o

Alternatively - pull up the 2". Buy a few boxes of 3" and 4" and mix them in. You'll have a variable width look and no obvious "new" food divide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here