Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I see pictures of your bed under a sloped roof?

Posted by domesticah (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 08 at 12:41

Sorry, I am not being inappropriate, I am just trying to remodel our 1930's craftsman style home : ). We have dormered space upstairs and I want to put a bed under a sloped roof. I wondering how much headroom I need (we are trying to utilize all the space we can) above the bed...Have you done this? can I see pictures? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I see pictures of your bed under a sloped roof?

I forgot to add a "hi" and that I am new to this forum and your advice would be appreciated. Thanks

o

Well if you sit up in your present bed, how high are you (from the bed or floor)? Just use that measurement against a string dropped down from the new 'slope' - slide it against the slope with a bead tied on the end to hold it straight until it touches the floor, and you'll know it matches the height you need (though I would definitely leave more room for standing to make the bed unless it's on casters!

o

The problem I've always had with sitting beds in dormered rooms is that most of my beds are antiques with high headboards and the only place they would fit is at the highest part of the room. That really limits your choices in a smaller bedroom to the wall in which the entrance door is usually placed and the outside wall, and that usually has a window. Most of the time the bed ended up on the window wall, and I never liked that for obvious reasons.

o

I was actually going to sell my very nice charles p. rogers iron bed and build a platform so that he bed would not be too high.

o

Keep the bed, ditch the house :-)! But how can a platform keep a bed from being too high, headboard or not?

o

W have all our beds under the slopped part. However we are short ;) But we do have a decently high headboard (though our bed actually sits low)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here